Sat, 10 Jun|
Red Lion Hotel Ghost Hunt and Supper - Colchester
Is this the most haunted hotel in Colchester?
Time & Location
10 Jun, 20:00 – 11 Jun, 02:00
Colchester, 43 High St, Colchester CO1 1DJ, UK
About the event
HISTORY OF THE HOTEL
Originally constructed as a dwelling house for the Howard family around 1470 - probably during the reign of Edward IV - the building was turned into an inn early in the 16th century when it seems to have been known as The White Lion. Its present title dates from the time of James I, largely on account of the red lion on the King's crest. Its most notable known historic connection is to the Siege of Colchester which lasted for eleven weeks during the summer of 1648. It is said that following its end, Oliver Cromwell convened Parliament in the Moot Hall with a view to putting Royalist agitants on trial. That very Moot Hall is now the hotel's restaurant.
- The best known - and most frequently seen of the hotels ghosts is that of Alice Catherine Millar, who was murdered in the hotel in 1638. Reports of her hauntings go back as early as the 1800's when the owner of the inn at the time was so frightened he had the door to her room bricked up. His efforts to stop Alice's hauntings didn't appear to work as she has continued to appear to both guests and staff at The Red Lion. Most of her appearances have been in rooms 5, 6 and 10 but she has also been seen in the kitchen and in her old room through the blocked doorway.
- The figure of a hooded monk has also been reported, usually during the early hours around reception and the corridors. This ghost is believed to be that of a monk who died at the inn in a fire several hundred years ago.
- The ghost of a small boy who has been seen a number of times in the parliament room and is often spotted by children. He has also appeared in several photos taken by guests at the hotel.
- Complimentary tea and coffee.
- Complimentary light snacks.
- Full access after dark to the Tudor rooms, cellar and bar.
- Use of equipment. Oujia boards, Table tipping, k2 meters and so on.
- Access to mediums/sensitives and experience automatic writing.
- Loaded wraps will be on the menu - we will sit and eat in the bar area where Alice's bedroom can be seen.
- The Choice of fillings will be:
- Thai beef/chicken
- Chicken caesar
- Roasted falfel (v)(ve)
- Wensleydale cheese nd carrot chutney (v)
- Egg mayo and watercress (v)
- Ham, cheese and mustard
A selection of 4 and all wraps are served with green salad and chips.
STAYING THE NIGHT
An option of staying the night can be arranged through yourself and the hotel. The cost of a room is £80
There i a number of parking options for the hotel, use post code CO1 1DJ
Before booking onto this event please read our Terms and Conditions. We cannot offer refunds and all ticket sales are non-transferable.
NO UNDER 18's AND ANYONE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED INTO THE EVENT.
This location is unsuitable for people with mobility issues and heavily pregnant women.
Red Lion Ghost Hunt